Follow Blinkered_Simon on Twitter

Thursday 2 June 2011

KILLER COVERS #003: Automatic Baby - (U2's) One

There are a lot of alternative versions of One out there, including a truly terrible rendition U2 themselves did with Mary J Blige (and I like The Bligester, as I believe she likes to be called).

This take actually features two members of U2, Larry Mullen Jr and Adam Clayton, along with Mike Mills and Michael Stipe of REM. According to Wikipedia it was recorded live at an MTV concert for President Bill Clinton (I think in 1993). I didn't realise until today that a video existed for the performance - I only knew it from owning the 1996 Childline charity CD on which it featured. The name Automatic Baby is obviously an amalgam of their respective bands' biggest albums. You worked that one out yourself - didn't you?

The key here is the vocal performance of Stipe. Despite jumbling up the lyrics once or twice, the song sounds as though it could have been written for him. After hearing this version a few times I found it hard to imagine Bono's original in my head.

Give it a whirl, people. Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your intelligent and witty comments here (or just call me a knob)