Follow Blinkered_Simon on Twitter

Monday 27 June 2011

KILLER COVERS #005: Glen Campbell - (Jackson Browne's) These Days

I feel pretty ashamed that I had no knowledge of this song until a couple of years ago, and indeed was pretty ignorant of any of the work of Jackson Browne. I was missing out.

Turns out there are tons of covers of These Days, most notably one by Nico, which was released long before Browne's own recording saw the light of day. 

Glen Campbell's version is on his covers album: Meet Glen Campbell, which came out a couple of years ago, and which also includes his take on songs written by Green Day & Foo Fighters. Listening in the week it was revealed that he is suffering from Alzheimer’s feels particularly poignant. While the world-weary lyrics:-
These days I seem to think a lot
About the things that I forgot to do...for you
And all the times I had the chance to
and 
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them
seem very apt for a man in his mid-seventies who has seen and done a hell of a lot, however they were in fact written by Jackson Browne when he was just 16 years old. 

Other covers of this great tune worth checking out are those by Greg Allman and Fountains of Wayne. 

.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your intelligent and witty comments here (or just call me a knob)