Follow Blinkered_Simon on Twitter

Thursday 1 September 2011

RIP Tom Hibbert

TOM HIBBERT
I was very saddened today to hear of the death of the writer Tom Hibbert, who was an essential ingredient of Q Magazine in its early days (i.e. when it wasn't a bit shit), with his 'Who The Hell Does (name of celeb) Think He/She Is?'.

The obituary from The Guardian, written by his old colleague Mark Ellen is here

Below is a comment I placed on another blog, which turned out longer than I intended, so I decided to post it here as well:


Terribly sad indeed. The Who the Hell columns were such an essential read, and I was continually astounded at how a succession of ridiculously egotistical celebs laid themselves open to his acerbic and withering treatment.

If nothing else, Hibbert may have been the first to alert the world to what a complete tool Ringo Starr actually is, something the man himself unwittingly confirms every time he steps in front of a camera or microphone.

Now, more than ever, I think there is a need to deflate these huge egos: just look at the Twitter output of the likes of Kanye West, P Diddy (or whatever he is called this week) or Paris Hilton if you need convincing. Perhaps subconsciously some of us absorbed that feeling of disdain which Hibbert clearly felt for that type of character and now do our best via Twitter or blogs to at least try to take them down a peg or two. I certainly think that's true of myself and I thank him for it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your intelligent and witty comments here (or just call me a knob)